If a new fluffy pet appears in our family, one of the first things we need to do is to find a name for them. Everyone does this differently — some look at the appearance of the animal, trying to find distinguishing features, while others assess the animal’s behavior and habits. Eventually, it might require quite a bit of time to find the right name for a pet.
We took a walk across the vast universe of the Internet to understand how different people recommend naming their pets.
“I found this cutie on the street and decided to adopt her, any name suggestions?”
She is beautiful and so lucky to have you! Aurora Goddess of Dawn.
“Baby lamb came in who will need to be bottle-fed! How stinking adorable is she?! What should we name her?”
“Our new little chihuahua needs a name.”
“This little dude needs a name, any suggestions?”
“She’s 3 hours old and needs a name!”
“Just adopted this 6-year-old boy, he needs a name.”
“Help me name him!”
Gizmo! Looks like Gizmo!
“I’ve had this very good boy for almost a month, and still no name! He’s 8 months old and super chill.”
- I adopted a dog who wouldn’t respond to the names I gave him. My uncle tried an experiment: he sat behind him while the dog was looking the other way (at me) and started reading from a list of popular dog names. 11 or so down on the list was the name, Rocky. When my uncle said it, my dog whipped around and looked at my uncle, like “yes!” And from then on, that was his name, and he came to us every time I called it.
“My parents decided to adopt a family member today! Any name suggestions?”
- My mother had a dog named Radar, she named him that not because he had large ears, but because he kept running into walls.
“Any name suggestions?”
- Megatron, no not Megatron it’s MEGATRON!
“Need a name for my kitten (male). Do you think Yuki fits him? It means ’snow’ in Japanese.”
- Blue Steel! Look at that face.
- He looks like the Ice King from Game of Thrones.
“Rescued this little one today! He needs a name! Preferably French…”
- Name him Chouchou! It means little cabbage. Chef Jonah Skinner.
- The angry little chef character in Ratatouille. That face is a dead ringer.
“She still needs a name! Help!”
- I am bad with names. I just call my cats Kitty or Little Badass depending on the situation.
“Hi, this is my boy and I need a name for him.”
- Strudel! I don’t know why that came to mind when I saw him, but oh well.
- I can almost see him with a monocle. An old-timey British lord type name.
“Help! My new pup needs a name!”
- He looks like a strong, nice boy. I would call him Rocky.
“My new guy needs a name.”
- Odin, That was my immediate thought when I saw him.
“I need a name for this cute dog I just got! Any suggestions?”
- Name him Dumpling.
“Now it’s my cat. Needs a name though so I can stop calling her ’the cat.’”
- I’m failing to see a problem with calling her “The Cat.” My cat has a name, but usually gets referred to as The Cat. Or Bad Cat. Sometimes even Good Cat. But he is always The Cat!
“This brave girl needs a name! Any thoughts for this ferocious little one?”
- What a gorgeous coat! Cinnamon, maybe?
“I need a name for this cutie (female)!”
- I think Iris is a good name because she’s gray and iris is the name of a gray flower, kinda fits.
“He needs a name. I’m thinking Calvin.”
- Blueberry! The eyes.
“Well…I have a new kitty and he needs a name! Any suggestions?”
- Looks like dear Salem when he was a kitten!
“My new little bro — he needs a cool name!”
- I don’t have a name but I am sobbing because he’s so freaking cute. Those little leg rollssssssss.
- That pup is definitely a “Snickers.” The chocolate coat with a little caramel on the nose!
“Help me name my new one-eyed friend!”
“Help me name my new one-eyed friend!”
“This new addition needs a name. It has to start with an ’S.’ It’s a girl. Ideas?”
- Shadow. She definitely looks like she will be your shadow, so that would be a good name for her.
“He was abandoned at my vet clinic by his owner. Very unique boy and very handsome. He’s a flame point Siamese.”
- He is Merlin, Oberon, and Gandalf.
“My new kitten needs a name.”
- With a mustache like that, whatever name you choose should have the title of ‘Sir’ and nothing less. Maybe even ‘Lord Mittens’ would do.
How did you choose a name for your pet? Can you share a photo of your pet with us?